The Château du Clos Lucé was the last residence of Leonardo da Vinci. In 1516, the Italian Renaissance genius accepted the invitation of Francis I and settled in France, bringing from Rome his notebooks and three of his major works (the Mona Lisa, Saint Anne and Saint John the Baptist), which are now kept in the Louvre Museum.
He made Amboise his home, from where he worked for the King on numerous projects. Prolific and inspired, Leonardo da Vinci worked as an engineer, architect and director, organising sumptuous celebrations for the French Court. On 2 May 1519, he died in his bedroom, and was buried not far away, in the Saint-Hubert chapel of the Royal Château d'Amboise.
The Château du Clos Lucé (formerly known as the Manoir du Cloux) is one of the great Loire Valley chateaux to visit in Touraine. The rooms of this vast residence, adorned with red bricks, will take you into the rich history of the 16th century: two superb bedrooms (Leonardo's bedroom, and the bedroom of Marguerite de Navarre, the king's sister), the kitchen, the council room (where the artist receives his distinguished guests), but also his workshops. There is also a unique collection of his inventions, spread over several rooms and an exceptional garden. The models can be manipulated there for the greatest pleasure of the children (7-12 years old benefit from an adapted visit booklet).
In 2020, a new museographic space will open its doors ("Leonardo da Vinci, painter and architect") and night-time strolls will be organised at nightfall.
Practical: the Château du Clos Lucé - Parc Leonardo da Vinci is located 26 km from Tours. Three restaurants welcome you in the garden. For a weekend, the town of Amboise and its many hotels is a great destination!
Rating / Labels
- 500 ans RenaissanceS
- Accueil Vélo site de visite et de loisirs
- Ambassadeur Val de Loire
- Démarche d'excellence grands sites
- Parcs et Jardins en région Centre
Comfort / services
Open from 01/09/2020 to 31/10/2020
- Lundi : from 09h00 to 19h00
- Mardi : from 09h00 to 19h00
- Mercredi : from 09h00 to 19h00
- Jeudi : from 09h00 to 19h00
- Vendredi : from 09h00 to 19h00
- Samedi : from 09h00 to 19h00
- Dimanche : from 09h00 to 19h00
Open from 01/11/2020 to 31/12/2020
- Lundi : from 09h00 to 18h00
- Mardi : from 09h00 to 18h00
- Mercredi : from 09h00 to 18h00
- Jeudi : from 09h00 to 18h00
- Vendredi : from 09h00 to 18h00
- Samedi : from 09h00 to 18h00
- Dimanche : from 09h00 to 18h00
- Full adult price : from 14,00 € to 17,00 €
- Child rate : from 11,00 € to 12,00 € - 7/18 ans
- Discount rate : from 12,00 € to 15,50 € - Famille nombreuse, Demandeur d'emploi
- : from 36,00 € to 47,00 € - 2 adultes et 2 enfants
- Group rate : 13,00 € - 15 personnes et plus
- Other rates : 7,50 € - Personne à mobilité réduite - Etudiant
- Free rate : moins de 7 ans