Right at the heart of the Loire châteaux, the royal fortress of Chinon is a unique medieval landmark in the Loire valley!
Nestling beside the River Vienne and numerous vineyards, this landmark of French history (Joan of Arc met Charles VII here in 1429 before liberating Orléans) has a range of visits on offer: guided tours, non-guided tours with a Histopad tablet (visit in augmented reality), tours with a booklet, visits for children, etc.
There is also an Escape Game, as well as activities especially designed for families during the school holidays.
The royal fortress of Chinon is about 50 km west of Tours. It is built on a rocky spur and provides a beautiful panorama over the River Vienne, the vineyards and the town cherished by Rabelais.
Great historical figures are associated with it, including Eleanor of Aquitaine, King Henry II of England, his son, Richard the Lionheart, the Dauphin Charles, Joan of Arc and even Jacques de Molay, the last grand master of the Knights Templar.
At the fortress there is a wide range of accessible visits. With a tablet, visitors can enjoy a tour in French sign language, a tour with an audio commentary and an immersive visit to areas that are inaccessible to people with reduced mobility. Guided tours in sign language for people with hearing difficulties, and tours adapted to people with visual and mental impairment are on offer on certain dates or on request.
Rating / Labels
- Accueil Vélo site de visite et de loisirs
- Démarche d'excellence grands sites
- Site Ambassadeur Unesco
- Vignobles et Découvertes
Comfort / services
|Lundi||09h30 à 17h00|
|Mardi||09h30 à 17h00|
|Mercredi||09h30 à 17h00|
|Jeudi||09h30 à 17h00|
|Vendredi||09h30 à 17h00|
|Samedi||09h30 à 17h00|
|Dimanche||09h30 à 17h00|
Extra reception info
Fermé les 25/12 et 01/01
- Full adult price : 10,50 € - Visite libre ou guidée
- Annual subscription pass : 16,00 € - Pass privilège. valable pour une année, permet la gratuité dans le site et le tarif réduit dans les autres sites du Département
- Discount rate : 8,50 € - 7/18 years old, students, disabled & large families
- Group rate : from 7,50 € to 8,50 € - + 10 pers.
- Other rates : from 17,00 € to 21,00 € - Monument Game Les Âmes perdues des Templiers
- Free rate : - 7 years old, unemployed