The royal domain of Château Gaillard was built in Amboise by the young King Charles VIII in 1496. Close by the court, it was home to the first Renaissance gardens in France, designed by Dom Pacello da Mercogliano. Right at the heart of the Loire châteaux, here, in 1500, Europe's most famous gardener acclimatised the first orange trees in France and created the greengage, orange tree boxes, heated greenhouses and landscaped perspectives.
The Château Gaillard estate became an experimental laboratory for Dom Pacello. From 1500 it was known as the "King's Gardens". King Francis I gave the estate to his "dear Pacello" in exchange for an annual bouquet of extremely rare orange flowers.
The royal domain of Château Gaillard has been listed as a historic monument since 1963. To preserve this precious witness to history, a major restoration project lasting five years preceded the public opening in 2014.
What to see at the royal estate of Château Gaillard in Amboise:
The château, stained-glass windows, a cabinet of curiosities...
. The King's Gardens
. The Royal Lemon & Orange Grove
. The 7 "paths to paradise" and the forest in the town
. Exhibitions and a few nocturnal events.
Snacks are available on the terrace overlooking the gardens.
The royal domain of Château Gaillard is 2 hours 30 minutes south-west of Paris. It is not to be confused with the Château Gaillard on the banks of the Seine in the town of Les Andelys (Eure), which is a castle in Normandy built by Richard the Lionheart.
Rating / Labels
- Accueil Vélo site de visite et de loisirs
- Ambassadeur Val de Loire
- Escapades aux jardins
- Parcs et Jardins en région Centre
Comfort / services
- Full adult price : 2015 info
- Guided tour extra charge : pour les groupes de 10 à 25 pers. (prix/personne)
- Other rates : Forfait médiatrice (groupe à partir de 8 pers)
- Discount rate : Pass 500 ans
- Discount rate : étudiants, dem. emploi et PMR, enfants de 7 à 18 ans
- Free rate : - 7 ans
- Discount rate : Senior
- Discount rate : Amboisie
- Group rate : A partir de 10 pers.
- Other rates : Visite conférence personnalisée pour les groupes. 7 thèmes de visite au choix.