Attractions and entertainment during holidays in Loire Valley
The main Loire chateaux are open daily year round, except on Christmas and New Year's day. If you are planning on visiting several chateaux, you may wish to obtain a PASS card at a Tourist Office. You can take advantage of price reductions and priority access during the high season with this card. Moreover, some places offer special visits for children.
A Loire Valley must-see: light and sound shows
Each summer, the major chateaux of the Loire Valley put on evening shows. From early June through end August, light and sound shows illuminate the summer evenings:
- Amboise and its new show "the Amboise prophecy", with fantastic projections on the walls;
- Chenonceau, with night walks and a wine tasting reception under the stars;
- Villandry, and its nights of thousand lights;
- Semblançay, played with numerous extras who will make you dive into french history;
- Montbazon, and its lively nights of the fortress;
- and also Montrésor and its 'solar nights' (one of the most beautiful villages in France).
Contemporary creations or historical depictions, these events provide insight into another aspect of the grand castles with subtle light effects that highlight the architecture.
Video: entertainment in the gardens of Villandry
The E.U. supports tourist sites’ Quality approach